Sunday, December 23, 2007

Catalyst

This year the holiday season has hit me really hard. Last year I don't really remember it effecting me strongly at all. Well, I barely made it through Thanksgiving this year, and now Christmas is just a few days away. Something happened that started the downward desention into Christmas Depression '07.

Thursday night, while walking in downtown a group of high school boys, maybe 7 of them, started to yell at me. They shouted "pig." Then they shouted "fuck you." They followed me around the street yelling "pig, fuck you" and making pig noises. These were the first people in Korea that I have ever sworn at in Korean. I told them "fuck off, bastards" but it didn't really do anything. They followed me around doing this for a while.

I'm sorry to say that this middle school kind of behavior really got to me. I know it shouldn't have, but add that to the general feeling of malaise due to the holiday season, and it really has started my emotional tailspin. I can't wait for the holidays to be over with. I know I'll be fine, and that the day after Christmas I will be back to my normal self, but I hate these times when I'm less than myself.

1 comment:

Helios said...

Much love dan.....remember always that you have people that love you and know you...don't let them get to you...they don't know you...they are just being pack animals in a group...humans in groups so often display the basest behaviors, behaviors that they wouldn't even contemplate if they were acting alone...
*hug* from me :)