Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Hibernation

Well, I think my hibernation has been long enough. I don't want you all to think that something happened to me. Yes, I suffered really severe holiday depression, but that is finished. I spent Christmas eve and Christmas day in my apartment alone. That was all I could do, and it was what suited me best.

At school, we were all showing movies, mostly my movies that I brought in to use. So, the students were beyond bored, but that's expected when you have final exams a month before the end of school.

I have winter English camp starting this week. There are only 2 students that signed-up of their own free will. My co-teacher brow beat 9 more into signing-up for the camp. Why do they have these camps? The students don't want them. The teachers don't want them. There are no grades or credit given for them. What's the point? No one can really answer this to me. I mean, the kids don't learn anything from the beginning of the year to the end of the year, so why should 7 days of camp be any different? My co-teacher had a "meeting" with me to explain about camp. She explained that I should play games and sing songs and all that. I told her that it was so cute of her to think that anyone would show-up, so I gave her the real information about what happens at camp. She seemed down after I told her that the students would probably stop showing up after the first day.

Nothing else is really going on here. I spent some quality time with Victoria, Jennifer, and Sandra (crazy Aussie gal). Did some shopping in Songtan, got some nice presents for people. That's about it. My 6 days of vacation are now over, and I start camp tomorrow. 7 days of camp followed by 3 weeks of vacation. I will be so bored during vacation! I need to find something to do.

2 comments:

Helios said...

hey you, i'm glad you survived christmas! i survived it too. i think.

that camp sounds stupid. oh well, just go withthe korean flow of it i guess...

it snowed a ton here, like a foot! it was not all idyllic shovelling out from it. In the words of Carl Reiner, "A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water."

Anonymous said...

Your blog has been an answer to a Girl Scout mom's prayer! We are preparing for an activity about other countries, and we have been assigned South Korea. Boy, would I luv 2 pick your brain! I was especially excited to see your blog about Hotteok. Anyhoo, I'm sure you have real, pressing issues... but I would be so appreciative if you could email me so I can ask you a couple of questions regarding South Korean culture. BTW, I enjoyed reading your blogs, and keep your chin up... holidays can be rough:)

Tammy
Indiana/USA