Friday, March 14, 2008

Time Goes So Slowly

Well, it's been a slow week here in Korea. Just another week of working and waiting for April to arrive. The weather has been nice and finally it looks like spring is here.

The students are getting into more and more trouble. Lots of kids have been punished in the teachers' office this week, lots of kids smoking and just being generally horrible. It's a real problem here. I know that this year is going to be very difficult on the teachers. I don't know if there are more students smoking this year, or if the new principal is just cracking down on the juvenile delinquent behavior. I suspect it has to do with the principal. Every morning there are teachers outside, keeping an eye on the students as they walk to school. I don't know how long this will keep going on, but it's amusing to watch at least. It's given me lots of punishment ideas.

My classes have been uneventful. The bad classes (the vocational classes mainly) continue to be as bad as ever. My goal is really just to play a lot of games with them until I get to leave. I'm mentally checked out... so don't judge me, I've already put up with these kids for 2 years. The "good" classes (the general education kids) are ok but nothing spectacular. My seniors this year are much worse in terms of English than the seniors from last year. I miss those kids for sure.

I came to school this morning, and my candy jar is open and empty on my desk. I'm not happy about this. I don't know if it's a teacher or a student, but it makes me angry that the candy that I buy with my own money has disappeared. I guess I will have to keep it locked up from now on.

I talked to a friend who is teaching English in Paris. She wants a job here in Korea. After sending a couple of e-mails, I got her a job... in less than 24 hours! I know, I'm good. I really hope she gets to Korea before I leave because I haven't seen her in more than 2 years. It would be nice if she could come to my going away party here.

That's all the daily happenings here in Korea. Gotta run. More students are in trouble and in need of some discipline.

No comments: