Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tacos in Itaewon

Yesterday was election day here in Korea, which meant that I, and most people, had the day off. This being my last day off really before heading home, I had to go and meet my boss from my side job (let's hear it for working illegally on the side!) and say goodbye. So, Jennifer and I went to Itaewon to meet her, and later to hook up with our friend Jude and to get some Mexican food (being from California, Jennifer is going through taco withdrawals).

Anyway, I met my boss, Erika (her English name) at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. It was a really great visit actually. I had my first bagel in over two years... it's been a very long time. Erika got me a couple of small gifts for a going away present. One of them is a beautiful white dojang (name stamp) that just says "Daniel" in Korean on it. It's really very nice. She also got me a keyring with a Korean design on it, also very nice, and something that I almost bought for myself before.

Anyway, we met up with Jude and went to this new Mexican place to check it out. It was super tiny, maybe 6 tables, and it was packed. So we went to another place, which wasn't open yet. Back we went to "Taco Amigo" and the owner saw us and came out. How to describe this man. His name is Wayne, and he's annoying beyond belief. He kept telling us about how great the food is (which all restaurant guys should be saying). He went on to tell us how horrible the other place is (the one that wasn't open yet) and that the Mexican national football team ate at his place when they were in town. He also went on to say that the place was so busy because a big Korean TV star was eating there. Yeah, I have no idea who it was, don't really know Korean TV stars, don't really care, barely care about US TV stars.

Anyway... Wayne just kept giving us the long sell about the food. It was completely overwhelming. We did eat there, and it was good. Even during our meal the guy was always in our face. We all wanted to say "we're eating your food already, stop the advertising!" The bad thing is that the food was really good, and Jennifer said she'd go back, but couldn't deal with the owner again. I wonder if he loses many sales that way? We need to find out if Wayne takes a certain day off... then we can plan other trips there on that day!

No comments: