Monday, October 01, 2007

A Chair Like No Other

I hate this story. Victoria loves it. She makes me tell it to every new person we meet. It's super embarassing for me, but if I can't laugh at myself then who can I laugh at?

Let's go back a year and a half ago. It was my first day at school in Korea. I go in, sit at my desk. The teachers start saying to me "Oh, your chair is too small." I tell them "No, it's fine." They keep reiterating that it's too small for me. I keep insisting that it's fine. I don't want them to do anything weird. It's fine. It's fine. Anyway, I left to go to my first class (which I wasn't really supposed to have but whatever). When I come back to my desk I'm in shock.


Ok, have you ever watched a talk show like Oprah or something and they have on the super obese people that weigh 900 pounds and Richard Simmons comes on the show? Well, on these episodes you look at the set and you say to yourself, "Self, the normal chair is gone. They've replaced the guest's chair with a bench for this large person." Well, my school did this to me, to an extent.


I came back into the office to my desk and this is what I found. Not a chair. Not a bench. It is the front bucket seat out of some automobile put on a metal rolling rack. Holy embarassed. There is no hiding the fact that it's a car seat. It has the map pocket in the back. It made me feel so incredibly ashamed.


This makes me ask a few questions. Where did they find this chair? It's not something they just rushed out to get when I got there. It must have been sitting around somewhere. Did they take it from a teacher's car? I don't know. Anyway, it's my cross to bear. Here are pics of my office "chair." Victoria loves this... I hate it. Oh, I don't hate the "chair" anymore, because there is back support and a head rest, so when I'm tired I can just put my head back. So that's the bonus. Here it is. My shame.

1 comment:

Helios said...

oh my, it must feel good to let some of your shame out after a whole year and a half!

I'm with victoria...it's hilarious, don't be embarrassed!

dan, don't be shamed, they were just trying to make you comfortable in their own matter-fact-korean way....

they went to rather great lengths to get that car seat and set it up for you! And even put it on a metal rolling rack!

yeah, not much diversity there for sure... they are rather challenged when they encounter someone different from themselves...quite an insular society...