Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Bit Of Poetry

The following poem was written by my good friend Victoria. Enjoy.


'Twas the night before takeoff
And my stomach was rumbling
Was I ready for this
Or would I find myself stumbling

South Korea was my destination
Teaching school my goal
Could I really pull this off?
Was I being too bold?

The flight was on schedule
I was a long way from home.
It felt kind of scary
Being here all alone

The city looked different
From any city I’d seen before
Here there are stores
Piled on stores, piled on stores

I see something new
Every time I look up
This is different from Stateside
But I won’t give up

My first day of teaching
Was frightening, but cool
I thought I might well adjust
To being in this school

The teachers seemed friendly
The principal, away
The kids were quite rowdy
But I think that’s OK

I quickly discovered
That candy did the trick
Keeps the students quiet
And me from getting sick

The food here is strange
What it is, I don’t know
But it looks awfully nasty
The smells never go

But my Pringles will save me
Form loosing my grip
When I’m feeling nostalgic
I just eat a chip

South Korea is home now
For better or worse
It isn’t bad living here
At least it doesn’t empty my purse

I’m sure I’ll adjust
To the noise and the spit
But someone please tell me
Is this really it?

Where’s my dream gone to
Of Asia in grace
Of gentle old men
Who want to save face

Of women in long skirts
And hair all adorned
In jewels and ribbons
And new babies born

Are the stories all true
Is there really a way
Can I love this country
Will I choose to stay?

Of this I am certain
That no matter what
Living in Korea
Keeps me out of a rut

No comments: