Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Bulgogi and Beer

Last night I got together with one of the new teachers that I met at the Thanksgiving party (remember that?). Brandon is a new teacher, been in Korea for about 2 months teaching elementary school. He's from South Africa, so he has that accent that you never hear and really can't quite place.

Well, we went to the cheese bulgogi restaurant, because he hadn't had it before and it is the best that my city has to offer in terms of palatable Korean food (although the Koreans refer to it as "Western" food). Of course he enjoyed the meal. More than that, we enjoyed the conversation.

Brandon is very articulate. He did most of the talking. It was a nice change for me. Usually I'm the one doing the talking, and no one listens. Topics covered ranged from literature (he's the only other person I know who has read 'Oblomov') to Korean culture. While we were talking, the owner of the restaurant kept standing in front of a space heater and lightly toasting her buttocks. We of course discussed that, and her giant extra-tall shoes. Good times.

After the bulgogi, we went to bar Ouzo and had a couple of drinks. More conversation. Brandon then came to see my apartment and decided that his place is a real hole compared to mine (but really, everyone's apartment is a hole compared to mine).

I have to say that the entire evening was enjoyable for me. I adore Victoria, but having a new person to talk to and listen to is always exciting. Not only that, Brandon is in the negative space that I was in until recently. I can do my best to act as therapist and help him to feel less trapped and confined in Korea. I'm sure that we will be meeting more often, especially since interesting conversation in Korea is in short supply.

1 comment:

Helios said...

"lightly toasting her buttocks"?! Hahaha, that's funny! ;) I'm picturing some kind of muffin or maybe a marshallow? anyway, your blog kills me sometimes dan...

what's a bulgogi again?

wow, South Africa is even farther from Korea than the US!

it's interesting how people from all over the world go teach anglais in korea.

you sound like you have a palatial apt. there in korea, relatively speaking.

So, Brandon teaches elementary school...that's got to be easier than the kids you have...they are still relatively innocent ;) Although you don't have to deal with bathroom accidents and assorted small child related issues!