Thursday, April 27, 2006

English English Everywhere, But Not A Drop To Drink

So, in Korea everyone takes English. Everyone has taken English in school. Everyone knows some kind of English. The problem lies in the fact that they do not speak English. This is much like the problem in Russia, where everyone studied the language but never used it, so everyone has a passive understanding of English. Getting the students here to speak English, especially the girls, is like pulling teeth. Well, getting them to say anything beyond "Hello, how are you?" It is a daily struggle.

The newest development for me here is that more and more teachers are coming up to me and wanting to learn or practice English with me. This is nice and kind of exciting, although I can't really imagine how I'm supposed to work in any time with these people on a one-on-one basis. So far the computer science, marketing, P.E., and Japanese teacher want to learn English with me. The Japanese teacher has also offered to help me with Korean. I need to take her up on that offer. I have a "Teach Yourself Korean" book and cds, but I have no motivation to study them. At the end of the day I'm tired and just want to watch some t.v. and go to bed.

By the way, I get two t.v. channels in English: the armed forces network (USA is number one!!) and the Discovery Channel. We will see when and if I get these separate balls rolling.

No comments: