Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Demo Lesson Hell

Yesterday was my bi-annual demo lesson. Demo lessons are to evaluate me and to see how my co-teacher and I work together. It's a good idea, if they actually wanted to see a real lesson. However, that is not what happens. What really happens is that you pull out all stops and make an amazing lesson plan (not anything like your real lessons), and you use all of the cutting edge technology that the school has, and your school gets all spit polished and nice. It's completely fake. You rehearse with the class a few times. You pick your very best class. It's a staged event, and everyone is aware of this. Koreans just like to get warm fuzzy fealings from this kind of spectacle (see my previous entry about 'superficiality').

Well, my class was going to present their Superhero projects. All of my classes have been working on this project. First, we watched "The Incredibles." Next, we learned superhero vocabulary. Then we looked at Superman and Spiderman, talking about them, their powers, their lives, who they fight, etc. Then the students worked in groups to create their own superheroes. They had to draw them, and write about their powers, where they live, who they fight, etc. I thought it would be fun.

First of all, my co-teacher did NOTHING to help me. Wait, he made a cover sheet and filled in a table in Korean for me. The rest of my giant important lesson plan I had to make. I spent about 10 hours working on it. He also made me make Power Point presentations, after viewing other demo lessons he decided we needed Power Point. Ok. I'm the Power Point king... no problem. Anyway, I spent a lot of time working on this damned thing.

The class, on the day of the presentation (we had the period right before the demo to practice) was not prepared for the demo. 2 of the 5 groups had not finished their posters. One group was just starting to compose their English!!! On top of this, they had a warm-up that needed to be practiced that they had never ever done before. Ok. We'll be quick about it.

The t.v. doesn't work. What? It worked earlier. The students tried to get the t.v. to work. It is broken. So, no Power Point. Great, that was time well spent.

The room is filthy. Excuse me? They were busy cleaning the room during our one practice session. Oh my God. This is going to suck.

I have one bad student in this class. He was there. Dammit. He was talking, I told him to be quiet. Two minutes later he was playing with a cell phone (his group was not finished). I went up to him and at my witt's end said "give me the damn phone!" I put it in my pocket and told him "NOT TODAY!!"

Okay, we finally got around to practicing the warm-up. One kid would stand in front of the class, I'd write a famous name on the board where he couldn't see, but the class could. He had to ask questions to the class and figure out who they are. It was actually a good game, and worked pretty well.

On to the Demo. 11:20 rolled around, time for class to start. There were no observers yet in the room. Mr. Lee (who hasn't done anything now) starts the show. Eventually 3 people wander in to watch. None of them are native speakers of English (Great, no one will actually read my lesson plan!). Well, Mr. Lee takes over like he is the one who did everything. We plow ahead with the warm-up, it goes ok. Presenting went so bad though. My kids were not really very forthcoming in speaking English. My bad student is talking and playing with an electronic translator. Grrr... The kids aren't asking questions about the superheroes like they're supposed to. Mr. Lee is rushing through things. At the end, we have about 2o minutes extra time. So, I have to pull something together. I review vocabulary, correcting pronunciation. Pointing out the difference between "breathe" and "breath." We did another one of the warm-ups. It was ok.

After the demo, we get together with the principal, v.p., the observers, etc. and they offer their opinions. One of the teachers just talked about the one bad kid distracting him (Grrrrr...), and that he was so thankful that his school students are better behaved and have better English skills. So, I really broke the main rule here. These people saw a more true reflection of what my kids are like. And just think, they saw the best of my dumb kids. That's the best we have to offer!

After the meet and greet, we went to lunch at my favorite barbeque restaurant. I had duck. I got drunk. I went back to school and was suffering from too much soju, too much stress, and a massive stress headache. Now I'm done. I don't care. My report will go on a shelf somewhere never to be heard from again. Thank God.

But, I did look cute for my lesson.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOT ONLY CUTE....supercute

WHAT A HANDOSME MAN.

Helios said...

so suave dan...distinguished!