Monday, November 06, 2006

Sorry Everyone

Well, it's been a week or so since my lass post. The truth is that the longer I'm here, there is less and less to write about. But, here is what has been happening.

It is getting colder and colder in Korea. However, the windows in my school are still wide open, letting in more flies than you can imagine. I had to bring in 8 fly swatters the other day, and it has been a killing spree. I've heard from other teachers at other school that the public schools here in Korea often do not turn on their heat until the weather reaches between 3 and 5 belos zero (celsius). I'm quickly realizing that I do not have enough sweaters and things to layer, since I'm sitting in an open unheated building.

Victoria put in her 60 day notice to her school. She came to the realization that she does not deserve to be treated the way that her students treat her. She teaches at another substandard school (just like me) but her students are far worse than mine, I think. It's clear to her and I that the only way these schools get native speakers is to get the fresh green ones that don't know any better. The agencies place newbies at these schools, and as soon as they finish out their year they leave to a more sane place. It's quite the scam. So, Victoria's last day will be December 22. She is hoping to find another school between now and then. She will leave and spend Christmas until the beginning of the school year in March in the Philippines with her son. I'll miss her.

I'm battling a new cold. I feel like garbage, and I'm here at school. At least I only have one class today. That's good news.

All of my free time lately has been spent writing my lesson plan for my demo lesson. The great thing is that it is in English, so no one will really read it. It goes in a file somewhere in the department of education and is never heard from again. It's just up to me to make something that looks impressive. The good news is that I learned how to make a table/graph using microsoft word. I've been taking my own computer to school these last few days, since my school computer is in Korean, and I need to understand what is going on. Also, my school computer has started running really poorly (after another teacher borrowed it), so it's just less frustrating to use my own computer.

That's really all the news that is fit to print. Things are boring here. I'm sick. Busy with my lesson plan that no one will read. Oh, and I'm lonely. Hope everyone else is doing better than I am.

2 comments:

Helios said...

dan dan dan dan dan....

{{{{big internet hugs}}}}

one day at a time....

and that is from someone who has a hell of a time living in the moment...

i think your life's mission right now should be to buy yourself a coat!

take care of yourself over there!

Helios said...

dan...you know, if this experience has taught you anything, it is that you are one tough guy (with a fantastic sense of humor!), and that if you can teach there, in an unfamiliar land with entire classes of reluctant learners you can indeed teach anywhere...

and that you enjoy teaching...that you really are a teacher...

i think it's taught you a lot about yourself and what is important to you, and what is unimportant...

namaste, and much love to you...