Saturday, September 29, 2007

All Is Fair In Love And War

After having nearly a week off for Korean Thanksgiving (Chuseok) I was left with a quandry. I hadn't shaved in a week, and I kind of liked the scruffy look. I knew my school would hate it. On days when I had gone to school after not shaving I would hear from the other teachers "Oh, you didn't shave today. Why didn't you shave today? I think you should shave." Well, this left me with an idea. Beard warfare.

So, I went to school with facial hair and they hate it.... so I love it. The students like it. The teachers don't. My co-teacher while driving me home friday said "Please shave." I said no. Then he said "some people look dirty with a beard." I said "but I'm clean." I think that if anyone says anything else my response is going to be "Jesus had a beard." I mean, how do you come back from that? You pretty much can't.

Am I being petty? No. Far from it. This is passive resistance. Didn't Gahndi preach that? I am like a modern Gahndi... but in Korea... and not really fighting injustice. But, it's nice to needle my school with something that they can't really change. I can't wait until my demo lesson approaches at the end of October. I'm sure they will "suggest" that I shave. It ain't gonna happen.

I'm a rebel with absolutely no cause.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the title be "All is hair in love and war"? :-D

Helios said...

hey, post some pics of your hirsutedness...you are such a rebel! ;)

Helios said...

yes, there you go, being "different" again!