Saturday, November 17, 2007

Consequences.

So, after that big hullabaloo with the evil student who grabbed the teacher's throat, here is what came about.

The student received some kind of "community service." I'm not sure what this entails. All I know is that I've seen the boy doing some cleaning at the school. Is that his community service? I have no idea.

The most interesting part of his punishment comes in poster form. Outside the teachers' office there is a poster that has been hung up. It is all in Korean, of course, with a big signature seal at the bottom. I asked my co-teacher about this. She said it gives the name and class of that student as well as outlining what he did and what his punishment is. I asked her what was the purpose of this. The purpose is twofold, first, it serves as a way to inform the students and to give them a kind of cautionary tale. The second purpose is to shame the student. When I heard this I turned to Ms. Park and said "Oh, that's so adorable how the school thinks this is going to shame that student." She didn't quite get it so I repeated "It's cute how anyone can think you can shame a student at our school."

What's my point? This poster lets the other students know that you can get away with anything without receiving any kind of realy punishment. Secondly, you cannot shame someone that has no self-respect or respect for others. The students at my school simply cannot be shamed. It doesn't happen. I think it's just funny that they think this is going to accomplish anything.

No comments: