Thursday, November 08, 2007

More Craziness

Yesterday during the lunch break there was an impromptu teachers' meeting. I had no idea what was going on. This was not a normal kind of teachers' meeting. This meeting featured a lot of talking, a lot of debate, a lot of heated debate. The meeting dragged on into the first period after lunch, when everyone has class. It took the entire class period. There was a vote amongst the teachers, on pieces of paper, and collected and tallied. What the hell happened?

After talking to a few teachers I now have an idea of what happened. First of all, Koreans do not like you knowing what is going on, especially if it reflects badly upon them. Knowledge is power and they guard this knowledge quite severely. This is what happened. A boy grabbed a male teacher by the throat. First of all, I'm glad it was a male teacher. He could have really hurt a female teacher here. The teachers were voting on whether or not to expell the boy. The teachers overwhelmingly voted for expulsion. However, the principal and vice principal vetoed this vote. Ah, democracy in action!

So, after the meeting, and this morning it is obvious that many of the teachers are very angry and upset. I don't blame them. Mr. Yoo said that many of the teachers want to leave the school now. I wish I could.

If this kid tries anything with me I'm not going to stand for it. I went to school in Detroit, in the ghetto. Detroit is the murder capital of the U.S. I'll totally sit on the kid if he tries anything.

No comments: