Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Winter Arrives... Futility Abounds

Today when I woke up I saw that it was the first snow of the year. Winter has officially arrived to Anseong. On the drive to school there were many accidents as people here simply don't know how to drive on snow or ice and there is no one spreading salt on the roads. Yet more compelling reasons not to drive in Korea.

It is final exam time for the seniors. They will finishe their exams on friday, November 23. They will then have about 6 weeks of school left before the end of the school year. What are you supposed to do with students who have already taken exams and gotten into college for 6 more weeks? If anyone has a good answer to that question, please let me know.

Futility reigns at Juksan Comprehensive High School. There is another poster of shame that has been hung up in the hallway. It looks as if that first poster of shame really worked wonders here. I don't know what this new student's sin is. If I find out I will let you know.

All of the teachers here are at their wit's end. They all want out of this school and they want out now. I don't blame them. It's the end of the school year and everyone is tired and ready for this year to be finished. Good news for me is that I have only three and a half months of actual teaching time left. After you factor in showing a movie at the end of the year, which is all you can do really, I will have about 3 or 2.5 months of teaching left. There is light at the end of this tunnel.

The other day Mr. Yoo said to me "how about staying in Korea for another year?" I told him very politely that there was no way I would stay another year. Everyone knows this is my last year. I'm coming into the home stretch now.

No comments: