Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Weekend In America

This last weekend I went to Songtan, also called America Town or Little America. It's where the airbase is, as you should all know by now. I went with Victoria and Jennifer, and we met up with Jude and Toni. We had a great lunch and wonderful time hanging out. Here are some pics from the day.

Here is a picture of my friend Jude with a woman who hands out flyers to passersby. The flyers were for manicures or something. She decided to do something very "There's Something About Mary" to attract attention. I think it worked.

After meeting for lunch, the ladies went off to Miss Piggy's. She is a hairdresser with lots of experience working with white people's hair. She is where everyone goes to when they need a dye job or hair cut. While they were in the salon, Jude and I went with Dini and James to the market area of Songtan. I've never been to this Korean market section. Saturday is market day and it was very crowded. Being a large American it was a lot like going through an obstacle course. Here are some shots of the market.

While at the market I spotted something that I've never seen before. Everyone knows that Koreans eat dog meat. I don't judge this. It's cultural. These are people who have endured times of extreme hunger, so you can surely understand where eating dog must come from. Anyway, here is a pic of dog meat for sale. You can see that it's a front leg and shoulder from some unlucky hound.

Later, when the ladies were done with their hair, and looking HOT we went onto the base, thanks to Dini and James and ate at Chili's. Jennifer was totally freaked out. She's been in Korea for a month now and to step onto the base and into a Chili's that is exactly like those in America really threw her for a loop. There was even a while lady who worked there who opened the door for you! Toni's birthday is in a few weeks, so she was treated to a song from the waitstaff and a milk shake.

After dinner Jennifer left for Anseong. I decided to get a hotel room so I could continue the party with everyone else. We went to Bellagio, Toni and Jude's favorite bar in Songtan. By the way, Toni adores my beard. She kept petting it and scratching at it as if I were a dog. It was cute.

1 comment:

Helios said...

hey, your beard is really coming along. You are such a rebel over there! sounds as if it's getting past the bristlely stage. Everyone look so happy in those pics....everyone except the poor hound ;( i know it's a cultural thing, and to them it's just meat, but it's shocking to me....