Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Spare The Rod, Spoil The Child

Korean students. Don't let the stereotype of Asian students throw you. My kids are just as bad if not worse than their U.S. counterparts. Let me give you an example.

On monday I started to teach the song "If I Had a Million Dollars" by The Barenaked Ladies. The song is easy and very repetitive. I thought they would enjoy this. I found a great video of the song on youtube.com. I printed out the lyrics and made a picture vocabulary sheet to define the strange new things in the song. I even brought in a box of macaroni and cheese (since the song mentions Kraft dinner).

Well, the class monday did not have a working TV in their room, so we used a computer room. They came in and I said "do not touch the computers, don't touch anything, just sit down." So, naturally, half of the computers were turned on. Students did not listen to anything that I did. They would not stop talking, they would not leave the computers alone, they would not do a simple "repeat after me."

That's it. I'm done working to prepare things that they will enjoy. Korean students shit all over everything that you plan. So, I will do nothing but book work from now on. I get paid the same if I'm a boring teacher as if I'm a good and exciting teacher. I'm done with candy, games, puzzles, movies, music, and videos. There is no sense in me using my time and money to help them when they just ruin it and don't care. So, this is what Korean students are really like. Now I know why they get hit so much by the teachers. Where's my kid-hitting-stick?

1 comment:

Helios said...

dan, it was the computers...they are addicted to computers...they are possessed by them.

that's too bad...that sounded like a great lesson you had planned there.

Give it one more try, when you have a working TV in there...