Monday, September 11, 2006

You Want Me To Eat What?

On thursday, I was informed that we (the teachers) were going out to dinner (not a choice). The parents of our students took us out. I have to admit that our parents at our school are really great. They bring the teachers things all of the time. Usually it's fresh fruit, sometimes it's gim-bap (sushi rolls, but all cooked, nothing raw), dinner, drinks, all kinds of things. The other times we went out to eat it was to Korean barbeque. This time, I was informed that we were going out for pig's feet. Excuse me?

We arrived at the restaurant. Korean restaurants serve one thing, and that's it. So, we sat down at the table (on the floor). I figured that at the very worst, I could simply eat side dishes and avoid the main course. However, on the table was nothing but the meat. The only other things on the table were condiments for the pig's feet. Lettuce to wrap it in, kim-chi, some pepper sauce, little brine shrimp, and radish. There was a variety of the meat, cold and hot.

I did my part, I ate 3 pieces of the meat, one cold and two hot. It was the saltiest and fattiest piece of meat that I have ever eaten. After the three I stopped eating. The other teachers were concerned, I said that I was fine. I simply began drinking... thank God for soju!

Later in the meal, one of the teachers ordered me some rice and bean sprouts. I was glad for the rice and sprouts, but other things came with it. Soup, which I normally like, but it was just filled with floating slices of jalapeno-like peppers, I couldn't eat it because it was so hot. There was also lotus root merinated in something which was too much for me to eat, and little baby crabs covered in red pepper paste. I told the other teachers to please help themselves. The crabs were raw and you eat the ENTIRE thing, shell and all.

This was a crazy night out. It wasn't horrible, it was just different. I was fine with the little food I did have, and I enjoyed the company of my fellow teachers. On the other hand... I won't be going out for pig's feet again.

4 comments:

Helios said...

well, did you go home and make yourself a pot of macaroni and cheese? that might pad those crabs as they make their merry way thru your intestines!

Daniel Youngs said...

Sure, they're sometimes gross, but they get me through the day. We can't wait for you to post messages Shari. :)

Helios said...

oh shari...........

don't worry, i recount about what happened the first time i ate shell on shrimp without knowing you have to remove the shells first (thought, these are a mite TOO crunchy!), or the time my brother took me on a tour of the Wayne State University Medical School Gross Lab as a birthday present....that was a present i could have done without...the stuff of which nightmares are made...all i know is that i'm not donating my body to science!

having 2 brothers (at least the ones i have) kind of immunizes you against the gross..

Helios said...

remember shari, he has pepto bismol now.... ;)