Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Mundane


I have gotten several emails. "Why haven't you posted anything new?" Well, the answer is simple. My life is boring.

This week I have been busy with the mundane and boring existence of an English teacher. I make copies, teach classes, take students' cell phones, host detention. The usual. My life is surprisingly dull and monotonous.

I am now periodically losing my voice. I believe it to be a combination of the air conditioning, the fans blowing on me, and the constant loud talking I have to do. The life of an English teacher here is a bit strenuous on the vocal cords. I'm always speaking slowly and loudly. The students never entirely shut-up, so I'm always talking over someone. Since my life here is as a human tape recording, I'm constantly talking. Doing this all day leaves my voice very hoarse and my throat sore.

The only exciting thing to report this week is that I have mastered the origami crane. I have made many many cranes. Victoria wants them to hang in her classroom. The legend is that if you make 1000 cranes that your wish will come true. I'm well on my way to 1000. I've made 79 cranes so far.

2 comments:

Helios said...

Ah...yes, you have mastered the Art of the Crane...i knew you'd get it! If i could make them in 4th grade, i knew you could make them... i have an origami book here...if i had a scanner i'd send you a page a day!

Make good creases.

Drink tea, tea, and more tea for your voice.

my life is very mundane also...aren't most people's lives? Mundane can be ok...cherish even the mundane...it means nothing bad is happening! You wouldn't rather be jumping out of airplanes or something, would you? ;)

Wouldn't it be nice to have a mundane lunch at Be My Guest?
(((hug)))

Helios said...

a poem of the mundane:

Dream fades to brutal light
Brain sends primitive signals to body
Body stands
Gains balance and footing
Awareness now
Start day
Automatic functions fire
Routine commences
Morning ablutions
Eat the breakfast
Drink the coffee
Go to work
Throw the boxes
Return home
Shower and eat
Rest
Wake
Walk back to second shift
Drink more coffee
Throw more boxes
Return home
Eat
Observe television
Drink liquid painkiller
Sleep
Repeat
Repeat…