Thursday, September 28, 2006

Superfluous

I'm the low man on the totem pole. I love this phrase. It's so colorful, invoking humor and nostalgia and reminding us of the wonderful Native American influence in America. However, it's very true. I am the low man on the totem pole... I'm so incredibly unimportant.

Yesterday exam schedules were handed out. The schedules list teachers and what classes they are observing during exams. My name is on the chart. Under my name are the class numbers. My column had an extra Korean syllable attached, it said "bu."

What the heck is "bu?" I asked another teacher. It means "co-."

I am co-observing classes. Co-observing. That makes me feel so emasculated and unimportant. I'm redundant. I'm as useless as tits on a man. I'm more unnecessary than an understudy for a chorus girl. I feel so pathetic.

No comments: