Thursday, August 31, 2006

Baby Steps

This is origami central baby. Every Korean student knows what they're doing in this paper-folding art. I'm so ignorant.

While I was at a stationary store, I took my first step in origami literacy. I bought a pack of origami paper. Maybe one day I will be able to make cranes. But since I'm all thumbs (being a bassoonist that plays an instrument with 13 thumb keys, this is literally the truth) I'm not sure if that will be possible.

Yesterday after school, I finally pulled out the paper. I made my very first origami. I made a little paper box. I put altoids in it and gave it to my co-teacher. She was happy to see that I had finished the box.

Also, yesterday, I was able to spell two Korean words on my own in Korean correctly. This is quite a feat if I do say so myself. Mr. Yoo told me the name of a market in Seoul, and I spelled it in Hangul (Korean alphabet) and it was correct. In class I translated the work hagwan into English, and I wrote hagwan underneath it in Korean. Both were correct.

It's happening people. I'm getting more Asian by the day. First there's the bowing, then the chopsticks, then the Korean alphabet, now there's the origami. Next thing you know I will be into anime and Hello Kitty.

1 comment:

Helios said...

oh, you'll make a crane! hey, i love doing origami! start with the bigger paper. and not thick coated paper.
when i was in elementary school my school did a project and made 1,000 cranes and sent them to hiroshima japan. Here's about Sadako:

http://www.sadako.org/sadakostory.htm

A couple of years ago i played a wedding for one of Dave Misura's relatives under a picnic structure at Hudson Mills Metropark. Right along the riverbank. We were playing Handel's Water Music and canoes were floating by! Anyway, his family made 1,000 paper cranes and hung them, 3 at a time, threaded on strings, from the ceiling of the picnic structure as decorations. It was very festive and colorful.