Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Play Time Is Over

Monday was the beginning of school. Vacation was over. I took this opportunity to start anew. Everyone has a clean slate and a fresh start. Play time is over.

Since discipline is horrible in my school, I have taken it upon my self to lead the crusade. This started a few months back with my taking of the cell phones. This was only step one.

I created yellow and red cards. They are laminated. When a student is bad, I lay a yellow card on their desk. I do this with some flourish, so that the entire class knows who is getting the yellow card. This is a warning. Your behavior is inappropriate and needs to stop. If the behavior continues, they get the red card. This is the card of doom. Their ass is grass and I'm the lawn mower.

With the red card, they have to come and see me at 5 o'clock when school is over. They have to sit down next to me, and write sentences IN ENGLISH. Now, they hate English, and writing it is the worst. So, it's a good punishment I think. However, the sentences they are writing are uplifting things with the Korean translation there. So they will be writing "I am a person of worth." Maybe this will make them "wake up."

Today I gave out 4 red cards, 3 in just one class. So, I'm hoping that tomorrow, the kids will report back about how they had to write all of these sentences and how horrible it was. If not, I have more red cards.

1 comment:

Helios said...

Yes, that is a very wise and metered approach to classroom discipline...they are responsible for their own destiny there...instructive discipline...

It's good you laminated those cards! But hopefully as the year goes on, you won't need to use them so much!

"Education is not some rarified art. It is simply engaging children with gentleness and kindness, and motivating them so that they will have an interest in learning for themselves." --Elsie Tu