Monday, August 07, 2006

Slave Labor

I guess the southerners had it right. Sometimes slave labor is the only way to get things done. If you doubt it, ask Victoria. Thursday I had the day off. She called me up early in the morning and asked if I wanted to go to the store with her. I agreed. I ended up going to her school with her and staying all day and "helping" her fix up her new English room. Along for the ride was Victoria's new dog Kim Chi. Not to be confused with the Korean staple of kim-chi. This is Ms. Chi, first name Kim.

Here is a shot of me sharpening pencils with a very pink Hello Kitty-esque pencil sharpener. The school's do not own a pencil sharpener, they use a pen knife.


Here is Ms. Kim Chi. She is sitting on one of the cushions for the students... like she owns the place. Yup... can you say "spoiled?"

I was still sick with my cough. I was taking traditional Korean medicine. It looks an awful lot like rabbit droppings.


And, just to keep the ACLU off of her case, Victoria helped out too.

Now, Victoria has put a lot of effort into getting her room ready for her students. I think that they will be so happy to see it. She really has made it quite an amazing place... I hope the kids will appreciate it as much as they should.
Here is the Wall of Fame. When a student completes the task, their name will go in the picture frame on the rung of that ladder. What a clever idea.
Here's the "book tree" or "tree of knowledge." I'm not sure what it's gonna do, but we laughed when she made it. She says, some things workout well, some don't. This tree would be an artistic thing that didn't work out so well.
Her room is posh. She has a water cooler in the classroom. Now, she was warned by her co-teacher "don't lose the watercooler." She's doing a super job of not losing it so far.

1 comment:

Helios said...

Dan, that pic of you with your Hello Kitty pencil sharpener and Kim-Chi in the corner is just precious! I miss you so much!