Friday, June 29, 2007

The "C" Word

The art teacher, who sits next to me, is having computer problems. I asked her what is wrong. Her computer is very old. She said that the computer is "crazy." I said, "No, it's old, not crazy. Our students are crazy." She looked at me very seriously and said "Daniel, I like my students."

I don't know why this is, but Koreans think that the word "crazy" is really a very serious word, and they find it very offensive. I wonder what their textbooks teach them about this word. They need to loosten up and understand that we say "crazy" all the time and that we really don't mean insane.

2 comments:

David said...

You may know this already, but the closest equivalent to "crazy" in Korean (미치다 = Michida) is a pretty strong curseword. So they naturally associate the same emotions with the English word as they do the Korean word. Probably their textbooks didn't point out that the word isn't very rude in English.

Regards,

David

Learning from Leading Men said...

Crazy is a pretty emotive term. Especially if the language doesn't come naturally to you. Most students here tend to go for the 'head-a bing bing!' phrase which means the same thing. Gesture added: circular motion with right index finger at the temple. Ah...the infinite variations on taunting mental health...someone should write a book! Oh wait. There's Freud's little known pamphlet called 'Nuts? don't mind if I do!"

Very little of the above is true.