Sunday, June 24, 2007

New Plans In Life

By far, the most annoying aspect of life in Korea has to be my inability to make decisions here. I don't know why it is that I have no objectivity here to use in my decision making. That being said, I've come to a new plan.

Now, for the last several months, I've believed that I would stay here in Korea, and pursue my MA in TEFL (teaching english as a foreign language). This would give me a highly employable degree and some real time teaching experience. However, my time here has shown me one major flaw in this plan. I am not entirely happy teaching English. It's just not where my passion lies. I've tried, and it's just not enough to make me completely happy.

So, at the end of my contract, in April, I will return to the U.S.A. I want to pursue my MA in Slavic Studies at Ohio State University, in Columbus, Ohio. So, when I return to the U.S. I'll be moving to Columbus, where I will live for a year to establish my residency. I will have to spend the year also getting my Russian skills back up to speed. That is the plan as of now.

Ultimately, I am going to follow my heart on this one. It means that I'll be giving up my life here where I make very good money and do not have to worry about finances. I'll be returning to the life of a poor student. However, I know that I will never regret this choice. In the end, Korea will always be here and they will always be hiring more native speakers of English to teach. So, I could always return if need be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

yes, follow your passion, be yourself, do not tread water in a listless grey prisontank of your own making. you don't want to wake up 30 years from now with regrets. life is very short....

"Somewhere along the line of development we discover who we truly are, and then we make our real decision for which we are responsible. Make that decision for yourself because you can never live anyone else's life, not even your child's. The influence you exert is though your own life and who you become yourself."
Eleanor Roosevelt