Monday, June 04, 2007

Meetings

It's monday morning. That means one thing, Korean teachers' meeting. Like clockwork, the office manager uses a microphone and says something in Korean. You stand up and face the flag. Next thing he says means that you put your hand over your heart and salute the flag for about five seconds. Next word means you're finished. Then he says something else which means "sit down and say hello to your neighbors." After I sit down and say "annyeonghasseyho" to no one in particular, I get out my mp3 player and start listening to music and chatting online.

This is the form that the Korean teachers' meeting takes. Different important teachers from each department stand up one-by-one and report on what is going on. I mean, this is what I assume is going on, since it's in Korean, and not translated for me. There is no discussion of anything, just reporting.

Looking around the office, I think that the other teachers are about as involved as I am. I see the teachers surfing the net, writing email, or trying to stay awake. I'm glad to see that they're as bored as I am. I just view this time as my mp3 and chatting time or my time to cut out things that I've laminated. Oh, the daily grind of the Korean teachers. Every monday... at least it's a nice and easy way to slide into the work week.

No comments: