Monday, June 04, 2007

Saturday Night

On Saturday, I was invited to Brandon's for dinner. I'd never been to his apartment, so it was a nice treat to say the least. First of all, his apartment is very nice. It's in the big high-rise apartment buildings that most Koreans live in. He has separate rooms, not like me, two large rooms, a big kitchen, and balcony, and bathroom. His apartment is also newly renovated, with him being the first new occupant. So, that's nice too.

Brandon also invited an artist couple that he knows. He teaches their children, and became friends with this man and his wife. They travel all over the world working. Listening to their stories were great. His living in Italy, the U.S., Austria, Costa Rica... everywhere. It must be an incredible life.

Dinner was grand. Brandon made a wonderful chicken curry, from scratch. I was incredibly impressed. I can't cook anything.

Talking to the artist couple, they started to think that I don't like Korea. This is my fault. I realise that when I talk about Korea and tell stories, I talk mostly about negative things that have happened to me. Let's face it, it's more interesting to talk about people grabbing me on the street and staring at me then it is to talk about a student that was polite. However, in telling these "interesting" stories, I give the impression that everything here sucks. The truth is that if I hated it here, I wouldn't be here. The money wouldn't be worth my misery. So, I will have to be a bit more careful when I talk to strangers about my Korean experience. I'll need to pepper my stories with the positive aspects too.

On a side note, I learned how to say "stop staring at me" in Korean. I can't wait to use it. It is definitely a useful phrase to know.

2 comments:

Helios said...

sounds like a very nice evening there over at Brandon's. I would have liked to have tried his chicken curry.

i know you don't hate korea! But it is useful to know how to say "Stop staring at me!" It's like they know not what they do.

miss ya dan...

Anonymous said...

It is an easy trap to fall into, isn't it?! I was somewhat the same way with Detroit ... although in the end, there wasn't much that made me sad to leave behind besides the Russian Dept and church! Blessings!