Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Apartment Woes

Yesterday I was informed by Mr. Yoo that my school is very worried about budget constraints, and that they are considering moving me to a smaller and cheaper apartment. I don't think so. Now, he told me that the average apartment for one person is one "pyong," which is some random Korean unit of measure (which is very small). Well, my apartment is 3 pyong. I countered by saying, "yes, but I'm big." He also informed me that the average apartment is 350,000 won per month, and that mine is 450,000 won per month.

My worries are this. My school will be forced to give me my raise that they have weaseled out of when I renew my contract next month. I think that they want to get me a cheaper apartment to kind of evenout or nullify my raise, i.e. you get a raise but a smaller place. I'm hoping that this isn't the case. It would be a very dirty and underhanded move on their part, and I'm willing to give my school the benefit of the doubt.

So, I have told Mr. Yoo today that I am willing to pay 100,000 won/month to stay in my apartment. So, this should make up the difference. I told him that I REALLY want to stay in my apartment. I have yet to tell him that my apartment was maybe 90% of my reason for staying at my school here, and it was not all about the children.

1 comment:

wendi said...

good for you! i'm so proud that my little cub scout is standing up for himself,thinking outside the box and learning to be as rude as the culture he's in demands. cover your ass boy or they'll try to screw you as much as they can.

fyi-- whenever things really bug me here my new mantra is THERE'S ALWAYS SOUTH KOREA

I think if I didn't have shared guardianship of the grandkids i'd have followed you over a month ago.

wendi