Friday, March 02, 2007

Results

Well, I went to get the results of my sleep study. I have severe obstructive sleep apnea, which is exactly what I thought I had. For those of you who do not know, sleep apnea is when the soft tissue of your throat collapses when you sleep, stopping your breathing. Your brain wakes you up out of sleep so that you can resume breathing. This means that you never reach that deep sleep that is restorative and helpful, so I'm always tired. This can happen hundreds of time in a night.

Anyway, I need to get a CPAP machine, which is what I expected. However, the hospital does not have the capacity to set up a CPAP for me with the proper pressure. This is usually done the same time as a sleep study. As a result I need to go to Samsung Hospital in Seoul (the number one hospital in the country) and have ANOTHER sleep study.

People, I am so freaking mad. The university hospital knew that I was seeking a CPAP, why would they let me spend $400 on a sleep study there that wouldn't result in treatment for my problem? I have to spend another $400 out of pocket to get treatment, plus the cost of a CPAP. If the hospital had just told me, "Oh, we can't test for that" then I would have gone somewhere else and wouldn't have to spend another sleepless night in a hospital and spend another $400. I'm pissed.

No comments: