Monday, March 12, 2007

Cops: Itaewon

Well, I went to Itaewon this weekend to buy some new shoes. When I was there on saturday, there was a great abundance of police men there. They were dressed in riot gear, with shields and everything. They came in buses with bars/grates over the windows. There were cops everywhere. I decided that this wasn't the best place to be. The entrance to the subway had maybe 10 cops standing there. As I went down the stairs and got underground, there were about 30 cops standing guard there. Let me just say that I was quite happy to not be in Itaewon anymore that day.

Why were all the cops out in full force? I have heard that a Korean died in Afghanistan and that the Koreans are pissed off, and that they were expecting protests in Itaewon, since that is where the Muslims are located. I've also heard that it was the last day of some kind of summit that was not so well received. Either way, not a good place to be for that day.

No comments: