Friday, March 02, 2007

First Day of School

Today, Friday (why Friday I have no idea) is the first day of the new school year in Korea. Who makes up this calander, I have no idea. Anyway, everyone's first day back.

I have 2 new co-teachers whom I met for the first time today. I had to go up and introduce myself. You know, if I were a Korean English teacher, and there were a giant fat white guy in the office, I'd assume he was my English co-teacher (I mean, I'm not the history teacher or Korean language teacher) and I would introduce myself. Not so here. We'll chalk that one up to yet more "cultural difference." They seem nice. Not sure of their English abilities yet. One of them, Ms. Park, this is her first job teaching. Actually, Victoria interviewed her for the province office, so she must speak fairly well.

All of the teachers have been moved in the office. As a result, I am now in a little Korean-only zone. There are no speakers of English around me. All of the English teachers are on the other side of the room. Why I wasn't moved there too is a mystery to me. I guess I will be forced to learn a bit more Korean.

We had an opening/introduction ceremony today. Each teacher was introduced to the students. Let me just say, and I'm not bragging or anything, that the kids erupted in applause and shouting when I was introduced. They love me more than any other teacher. That's nice. If only that translated into wanting to be a good English studnet. Oh well, at least I know I'm loved.

No comments: