Thursday, March 15, 2007

I Don't Want To Complain...

In the last few months I've really made a turn around emotionally and mentally. I mean, it really took me a good 6 months to get over cultural shock/differences. Unless you've been to an Asian country, you don't know from culture shock and cultural differences. There is not one thing that is common between Western and Asian cultures. I mean everything is different from the way the families are structured and who should pay for whom to the subtle differences of power suggested by the size of your name stamp. It's different. I can deal with that now.

This ultimate realization that everything is different, and just to deal with it has led me to becoming a happier and better adjusted person here in Korea. After my nice long winter vacation, I am approaching the new school year here (which starts in March, I don't know why) with a new vigor and positive outlook. I'm creating better prepared and thought through lesson plans, and I'm prepared to follow through on disciplinary threats and consequences. The studetns like me and I am going to get the respect that I deserve here. This has made me feel so much better about my job and my role here in Juksan. When you approach these obstacles from a positive place and a place of understanding, everything falls into place.

Because of this newly found lease on life, I don't like to complain too much. However... yesterday was not a good day for me and here is my chance to vent. I'm in a walking cast/splint type thing. I have plaster under my foot and running up the back of my leg, it is tied to my leg with bandages, and I have a too-small big shoe over the whole thing. The point is, my foot is immobilized. I don't have crutches, but I'm not supposed to go running a marathon either. Well, yesterday I was not giving a ride home as usual. Now that Mr. Yoo is the head English teacher, he has taken it upon himself to work until 10pm each night (I've only gotten a ride home once since this school year began). No other ride was arrainged for me, so I had to walk the mile to the bus stop, down hill, which isn't that easy to do with my leg as it is. It took me 30 minutes to get to the bus stop. When the bus arrived, I got on... there were no seats. Everyone saw my foot all bandaged up, and me limping... no one gave me their seat. I'm standing there, and a woman who is sitting, leans over to examine my injured foot more closely for a few minutes, then she sits back up in her seat and starts to suck on a lollipop. Nice. I fell once when the bus came to a quick stop... still, no one gave me their seat. At the end of all of this I was left with such a disgusted feeling. Disgusted that my co-teacher hadn't tried to arrainge a ride home for me when he knew my foot was injured, disgusted that I had to ride the bus, disgusted that not one person on the bus offered me their seat when they saw my bandaged up leg or when they saw me fall on the bus. I guess that really shows how real the "polite Asian" stereotype is. I'm sure I have more of the same facing me today after school. I'm not looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't speak for all asians but I do understand a little about them. Coming from my background as Khmer Krom of Vietnam. It's common knowledge that Korean's live in a confusian society that thrives on competition and a healthy dose of skeptism. Your incident has little to do with the "Polite asian" behaviour. It's might be more about the "naturalized foreigner" idea. You're no longer a novelty or deserving of special treatment. You are like one of them and must deal with what every Korean must deal with. Namely, getting home after work in one piece. They probably wouldn't even give up their seat on a crowded bus for a pregnant woman or elderly stranger by the sounds of it. At least if not asked.

Hope everything goes well for you and I'm sure there's a lot more to learn about the attitudes and behaviours of "asians".