Friday, March 30, 2007

The Secret Is Out

Do you know the way to a Korean's heart? Well, I have the secret. Now, it isn't through food, it isn't through flattery or flowery words. It isn't even money, although many young guys would claim otherwise. If you want to make a Korean increasingly happy there is only one way to do it... office supplies.

I'm telling you from a year of experience, the only thing that really works on melting a Korean's heart is a cute pen or new pencil. If you want the students to love you, just let them shred one piece of paper for you and they will be the happiest kid in all of Korea. Mundane activities like punching holes in paper or stapling are like Christmas time for my students. They love it so much.

Crayons, markers, laminated things... these are what the kids really want. Sure, they love their cell phones and mp3 players, but they can't compare with a cool pen.

This is why the students really love me. It isn't my teaching method, my jokes, or even my in-class overacting... it's my wide assortment of strange and goofy pens that I use. Well, whatever works.

No comments: