Monday, May 07, 2007

And The Bureaucracy Rolls On

Well, my CPAP machine (for sleep apnea) arrived in only 3 days. The bad news is that it has been stuck in Korean customs since wednesday morning. First the problem was that they couldn't reach me (because my phone number is a US number given by the company). Then, they needed customs duty. Then they found out it was medical equipment and wanted the prescription. I was at school, and did not have my prescription with me. Mr. Yoo called the hostpital to get a copy, and they wouldn't fax him a copy of it. So, friday morning I brought everything in, and it was faxed immediately.

It wasn't delivered.

Today, monday, it was delivered to my apartment, and no one was there, so they didn't deliver it. Now, they were told the week before to deliver it to the school, and they simply ignored this. For some reason they couldn't get it to my school today, which is just 20 minutes away from my apartment... so, I must wait another day.

Korean bureaucracy keeps rolling on. I mean, sure, I could die in my sleep, and I wake up every morning with a severe migraine due to the apnea, and it's super hard on my heart... but the Korean customs office needs to stamp some papers. That is the problem, Koreans love rubber stamping things so much that they just make more red tape. Stamping makes them feel super powerful.

Frustration.

1 comment:

Helios said...

i hope that CPAP manages to wriggle through all the red tape....you need that thing! i know firsthand what it is to wake up w/a migraine or impending migraine day after day...since i got on this BP med i have not had one headache...and it is good. i hope by the time you read this you've got the machine and can strap it to your nose!