Thursday, May 03, 2007

No Smoking

This week I have taken over the role of anti-smoking police at my school. I'm currently showing some videos to my students (as a nice break from their midterm stress). I like to use the library to show the movies, because there is a big screen and projector and surround sound. All it's missing is the popcorn. The library is only accessible by going outside.

On monday and tuesday, I caught kids smoking out there, behind two outbuildings and right next to the school. Well, the kids see me, know they're busted. I grab them by the arm and take them to a Korean teacher to have them deal with the students. Now, I caught two students smoking out there twice each. One student I caught between first and second period, and then again between second and third period! I looked at him that second time and said "Could you be any stupider?" Well, my co-teacher informed the homeroom teacher about the kids. I'm really not seeing anything being done about it.

So, I've taken it upon myself, when I'm down in the library, to stand out there between classes. The students just look at me through the windows, waiting to see when I leave so they can smoke. I stay there until they're in their next class. I feel so deliciously evil when I do this to them. Also, when I see the offending students, I say "Hello smoker." The other students pick on them for this. I figure, maybe they'll stop if they get tired of being ridiculed by their peers.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Smoking is so disgusting--Not only does it damage your body, it smells and looks awful. That is one of the only things I didn't like about living in Germany. Since there aren't any smoke-free areas in restaurants (people even smoke in university buildings), it is hard to find fresh air. The town I live in now has gone smoke free in all restaurants and bars, which is great. I'll be moving within a year, and eventually will end up in Germany, so I hope that the smoking rate starts declining there.
Anyways, good for you--keep discouraging those future smokers.