Thursday, May 24, 2007

What Does A Korean Picnic Look Like?

Yesterday, wednesday, the seniors in my school, myself included, went on a picnic to Nami island. The island is over 2 hours away. It's a small island in a river somewhere in the neighboring provence. It is just a 5 minute ferry ride away. The island is a bit odd. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Part of it looks like the folk village. Part of it is a big sculpture park. The other part is just strange. Apparently it is a very popular destination for young people in love and honeymooners. Here are some shots of my students and me enjoying the day.Here are all of the classes lined up at the school getting ready to go on the bus.This was on the ferry to the island. The girls facing the camera tells me that she loves me and that I'm cute... everyday. She works at the local fast food joint in town. She's very sweet, but not a good student, just like most of my kids.
On the island there was an osterich wandering around. The people were just coming up to it and running away from it when it got too close. They were tormenting it. Now, I've always been told, and seen on t.v., that osteriches are not very nice animals. So, I was just waiting for someone to get bit. Later in the day I saw the osterich run through the main area... followed by a gang of children chasing it with rolled up posters as weapons. Crazy kids. On the way out of the park, I saw a kid with an osterich feather. I think the osterich lost.
They train the trees to look like this. Strange.This is not a space ship. It's actually a honeymoon cabin on the river. Anyway, it may blast off, so stand back.

Okay, on the bus ride back, the t.v. in the front was converted to a karaoke machine. Oh my God. It was so loud! There were flashing disco lights, and the microphone had so much reverb. It was a bit torturous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVho0scjE8A

That was my day out with the seniors. It was a nice day to be outside and walking around. Of course, like everything else in Korea, it was very strange at the same time.

2 comments:

Helios said...

those are great dan! i would have liked to have been on that field trip!

so, did any of those kids try to ride the ostrich?

when i was a young child, i was at the Detroit Zoo standing by the ostrich pen, jacket in hand, and this big ostrich sauntered over with that curious sort of ostrich eye, and lowered its fuzzy little head, and snatched my jacket away and into the pen! And i almost jumped in after it to get the jacket back. But my parents stopped me and a zoo employee got it. :o) and that was the highlight of my zoo day...oh yeah, and a bird pooped on me that day too...

Helios said...

you know..that trained tree is like a ginormous misshapen bonsai...