Monday, May 21, 2007

Are You Stupid?

After my stomach problems of last week, I found myself sitting at school and thinking. Now, my plan had been to stay in Korea for several years, and to ultimately get my master's degree while working here. That would take 5-6 years total for me. However, sitting here and thinking it suddenly hit me. Am I stupid or what? I don't know if PHYSICALLY I could stay here for such a long time. I mean, with the periodic painful stomach problems that I have, I'm really concerned that this could develop, over time, into something severe. I'm worried about getting an ulcer or worse. The cuisine of Korea is just too corrosive to my system.

So, I've begun to think about this being my last year in Korea. I will spend my time searching other countries for jobs. The only prerequisite for me now is that the cuisine of my new country is not based exclusively on peppers. I ignored the cuisine issues before coming to Korea and it has proven to be a huge deal. Living in a country and simply not eating the food there really isn't an option in the long run. It's doable on a one week vacation, but not if you're living there full time.

Now, all of this could change. If my stomach somehow makes a surprising turnaround, then I may stay in Korea as planned. But, although the pay here is great, it is not worth my health becoming abyssmal.

1 comment:

Helios said...

i hope you can get to the bottom of your stomach problems dan. That is not a good way to live, having to be afraid that you're going to be doubled over, and not being able to connect it to anything specific. Sounds like it's difficult to even communicate with the doctors there and also to negotiate the system. Do any of your Western friends there have such stomach problems?