Monday, May 21, 2007

Substitute

Today one of my new co-teachers told me that she is taking a 3-month leave of absence. I knew the reason behind this. She had opened up to me the other week about her son suffering from depression and seeing a psychiatrist. It had really touched me that she had opened up so much about this. To admit to some problems at home in Korea is HUGE beyond belief. But, she also knew that I worked in mental health in the USA, so she was looking for some reassurance. When she told me this morning that she was taking a leave, I told her that her son needs to be her number one priority right now. So, she was glad that I was so cordial about it.

Now, the guy who is going to be her substitute. Where to start? First, he did not introduce himself to me, which I think is just such an incredibly rude thing to do! Second, he is very young. He just graduated last year. He has not taked his English exams yet to become a full fledged teacher. He has substitute taught for 2 months, that's it! He is about to be thrown to the lion's den that is Juksan Comprehensive High School. He has no idea what he's in for! God bless him. Also, from speaking to him a bit, his English is not good. I don't believe that he'd be able to pass his spoken English exam to become a teacher. Maybe I can help him to become more confident with his English. It is going to be an interesting few months.

No comments: