Monday, May 21, 2007

Vultures

The other day I brought in a roll cake to school for the teachers. I've learned that Koreans love to eat more than anything else in the world. I've also learned that when I go grocery shopping, every few weeks to pick-up something to take to school and share. The teachers love it when I do this, and they really seem to appreciate me more when I'm a team player. Usually I bring in some Korean rice snacks. I buy them on the street. They look like rice-crispie squares, but they are not nearly as sweet. They taste kind of like "sugar smacks" but less sweet. I've also brought in oranges. Well, this day I'd been to a bakery to buy some bread so I bought a roll cake too. The cake is like a jelly roll, but filled with some kind of cream. I don't never, I never had any of it. When I set it down on the conference table in the middle of the teachers' office, the thin, polite, dainty women in the office decended upon the cake as if they were vultures or death row inmates having their last meal. This cake didn't last two minutes before it was gone. It was gone by the time I wrote one quick email. I've never seen a frenzy like it... except for on the Discovery Channel during Shark Week.

No comments: