Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Budding Young Artists

Now, my students don't want to learn just as much as U.S. students don't want to learn. So, while I talk or when they are supposed to be working, the students are doing everything but. Usually it's talking. Sometimes it's studying for other classes. You get the girls looking in the mirror, playing with their hair. You also get lots of drawing.

Now, Korean students don't draw at an amateur level. This is the region of the world where anime reigns. They draw the most elaborate things. Last week during final exams, a student drew a wonderful picture which she brought to me. It hangs in my cubicle. It's of a smiling woman and some peacocks. Very interesting.

Another student did a really elaborate picture in red ink. It's of a very "Strawberry Shortcake" kind of cartoon character. You wouldn't believe the detail in the picture. I had to snap a pic.

So, I really would prefer that they paid attention. But at least they're doing something artistic and something that amazes me.

1 comment:

Helios said...

those are great, especially the lady and the peacocks one!