Friday, July 14, 2006

Sometimes The Last Minute Works Out Best

Last night, I was getting ready to leave school. I packed up the laptop, had my shoes on, turned off my fan. Mr. Yoo came up to me and said, "okay, you're ready to go to dinner now?" Excuse me? What dinner? We were going to a going away dinner for someone whom I didn't know. Mr. Yoo said "you didn't know?" My response was "did you tell me?"

Last minute is how things get done in Korea. It's hard for me to get my anal retentive self to accept this and to roll with the punches some times. Nonetheless... these things always catch me off guard.

It worked out the best though. I didn't really want to cook last night, and was going to order pizza. Instead, I got a free meal and got a fare amount to drink. We ate at a Korean barbecue, my favorite restaurant so far. We've gone to this place 3 times. We had duck. Quack. I love duck. So, I got to feast on duck and drink some soju and chat with teachers in a relaxed atmosphere. If I weren't sitting uncomfortably on the floor I would have loved it. I'm getting better about sitting on the floor, but my American legs aren't used to it and they fall asleep almost immediately. It's a small price to pay for such a good meal.

So, sometimes last minute things are hidden blessings. That's the only way to look at them sometimes... otherwise I'd go crazy.

1 comment:

Helios said...

yes, last minute things are...