Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Homesickness Sets In

For once while being here, this time it isn't me. My good friend, my best friend here in Korea and the sole reason that I didn't put in my 60 days notice 60 days ago, Victoria,is being hit hard by homesickness right now. This is due to a few things. One, yesterday was July 4th for us, so it was a little strange to not celebrate anything. Also, she's doing research on the USA for her English summer camp. This coupled with the general ickyness of Korean food has pushed her over the edge a bit.

Naturally, this is where I come in. I know that she is right now where I'm gonna be soon enough. In other words, she has to get over her homesickness so that she can help me get over my homesickness when it hits me hard.

So, yesterday I called her and arrainged to meet for dinner... Pizza Hut. This is as close to comfort food that we can get here in Anseong. On the way home I stopped by the shop that I got my dojong at. I had a dojong made for Victoria with her name on it. I also went across the street to the office supply store and bought the inkpad that goes with it.

When I got to Victoria's apartment I gave her the present. She was quite happy to get it, and I hope that it helped her feel a little less homesick. I'm here for her, so whatever Korea throws at us, we can work through it together. She keeps me sane... I keep her sane. It takes two strange people like us to keep eachother sane. Thank God that we ran into eachother that saturday on the street, or I'd be completely miserable and lost.

1 comment:

Helios said...

yes, it's good she came into your life when you were at a really low point; i've had enough of those kinds of experiences to know that things like that aren't accidents...take care of each other over there...that's what it's all about...

you're not strange dan.