Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Souvenirs

This is the question that plagues all travelers. What kind of souvenirs to bring back home? What is perfect for you mom or dad? What about your sister? Close friends? It's a tough question. You want to find that one item that 1. you know they would appreciate, 2. you know they would use or display, and 3. screams KOREA! The folk village had some nice things. I bought several things there. But what about the peculiar? The grotesque?

Last night, I was at a bookstore in Seoul. They had a display tables filled with these keychains and paperweights. They contained real insects. Who wants one of these for a souvenir?



I could also bring home somthing that my students made. How about these. My kids were making these. One girl had a canister filled with hundreds of them. Little oragami stars. I don't know what you do with them, but they're pretty neat.




If the laws didn't forbid it, I could bring back some exotic plant. How about this tree? This is growing by my school. Never in all my years (and there have been a few) have I seen anything like this. Do you have any clue as to what it is?




Something for you car maybe? Somthing to balance out all of those Jeff Gordon, Red Wings, U.S. Flag, etc. things that people put all over their cars.

Ahhhh... I know. Something familiar. Something with that "great American style taste!"

Well, whatever I bring back, I'm sure you'll appreciate it. You know, the gift is not important. It's the thought that matters.

1 comment:

Daniel Youngs said...

Yes, it has that same authentic American taste!