Monday, July 24, 2006

Students: The Same The World Around

I'm in the middle of teaching summer school English camp. My high schoolers have stopped coming. They showed up for the first day. They missed the last 2 days. This really doesn't bother me in the least. I mean, I put in a lot of work into preparing for summer school, but it's not wasted work, these are lessons that I will be using during the normal school year. The funny thing is that Mr. Yoo, another English teacher here, is giving me reasons for the students skipping out on summer school. I think he's just trying to make me feel better about it. The first day they didn't show up he said something about the students go out to lunch and then they just don't come back for some reason. The second day he said that he thinks the students go to hogwan in the afternoon (hogwan is a private academy). I told Mr. Yoo "it's quite simple. They're students. It's summer vacation. The last place they want to be is school." There's no need to justify basic human behavior. Students the world around are all the same.

No comments: