Sunday, July 09, 2006

Rudeness... A Way Of Life

I know that I'm in another country and that the definition of rudeness is probably different here. Really, I do understand this fact. With that said, I am so sick of rude Koreans today. I've had my fill.

It started with the bus ride to Seoul today. An old lady sat infront of Victoria and I. She stared at me, with her mouth wide open (not even trying to hide it) and made a noise like "oooohhhhhh" and put her hands out wide apart, indicating my size. Great. She did stuff like this throughout the ride. That's an hour long bus trip.

In Seoul, I was run into so many times by Koreans rushing about, not paying attention while they're text messaging, or just running into you. No attempt at an "oops, excuse me." They just don't see this as a problem at all.

In the bookstore while I was waiting for Victoria a middle school aged kid came up to me... stared at me and then said "You're fat." I was dumbfounded. I told Victoria about it. Later I saw the kid again, he was still talking about it. Victoria went up to the kid and said "Excuse me, it is not polite to stare at someone and say 'you'er fat.'" The kids father turned bright red and asked the boy if he did it. The boy denied. I'm pretty sure that the father had words with the boy.

I'm so tired of people in Seoul. What's the point of going?

1 comment:

Helios said...

well, dan, try to look at it this way, you are one of a kind there. Tell them you're a sumo wrestler!

humans are such pack animals, always reacting to anyone that's different, generalizing...

i think the guy squeezing your arm was doing the same thing as the old lady and the kid.

Anyway, i would feel very bad if it were happening to me...try not to let it get to you...
*hug*