Friday, May 19, 2006

Baby's Day Out

Today was a rather grand day here in Anseong. First of all, it's friday and I had the day off. So, right away, it's a pretty good day. The students at my school were taking some test and there was no reason for me to be in today. First off, I woke up and chatted for a bit with some friends from back home... this is why I HAVE to have internet at home. Then I went to my bank to inroll in online banking. The good news is that the ATMs and the bank website have English options, so I'm not hitting buttons blindly. However, no one speaks good English, so it's difficult to get some answers. It looks like if I need to pay bills at home in America (and I do) that I have to transfer the money to my bank back home each month. This will cost me atleast $10 or more in fees. Oh well, at least the bills will be paid.

After the bank, I met up with Victoria, the 58 year old American woman I first met here in Anseong. She decided to play hookie from her half-day of school (half-day because she teaches half middle school and half high school, the high schoolers had a test the midde schoolers didn't). She had spotted some furniture stores and wanted to get a bookcase. I was just happy to get out and see a bit of the city. We found the furniture district here, not too impressive. Lots of IKEA type furniture, but pretty expensive. She wanted to get a glider/rocking chair. The woman wanted $110 for it, which was rediculous, she wouldn't budge, so we moved on. Victoria found a bookcase at a good price.

Then we bought some food from a street vendor. It was like a sweet waffle type of batter cooked in hot griddles that were shaped, like 2 peanuts joined together and like a big walnut. The peanut cakes actually had some peanuts in them. They were really good, so if anyone visits me here, I'll take you to get some. Down the street a bit we found a lamp store, where they had desk lamps for under $40 (the going rate here). We each got a lamp for reading for $18 each, it would have been $10 at Walmart, but when in Korea...

We had lunch at Pizza Hut, then went to see Mission Impossible 3. Okay, the theatre is in a big building, each different theatre is on a separate floor. The snacks offered at the concession stand included sweet potatoe sticks, dried squid bits, and whole dried squid. They did have bags of microwave popcorn. Movie was good, Victoria jumped and shouted at every exciting thing... it was pretty funny.

Afterwards we went to her apartment, it was very small. I think we could fit almost 3 of her apartment in mine. We talked about students and teaching and all that jazz, invited another teacher to dinner but they had plans. We went to dinner, afterward across the street to get a chai and some cake. All in all, a delightful day. Now, that is what I consider a good day in Korea.

3 comments:

Helios said...

they sure eat a lot of squid there, don't they? Sounds like squid jerky in that movie theater...so, does the movie theater there smell like fish instead of popcorn with everyone chomping down on their squid jerky? ugh! do they raise them on big squid farms or something? ;)

it is too early here for me to be thinking about this squid stuff....

Helios said...

do they have squidsicles? ;)

Anonymous said...

7bymvg49r

My weblog: Quick loans