Thursday, May 04, 2006

Cafeteria Life

Each weekday I eat lunch at the school cafeteria. This is the main source of my sustainence and source of Korean cuisine. I've asked and the teachers believe the food to be typical of Korean cuisine and of normal quality. So, in other words, it's not disgusting food but ordinary.

With that said, the food here in the cafeteria is always an adventure and sometimes a slap in the face. First, you go through the line and pick up a pair of chopsticks from the container and a spoon and your trey. The trey is metal, the food is hot. You do the math. The trey gets very very hot.

Each and every day there is rice, kim-chi, soup, and another side dish or two. Usually the rice and the soup are the best thing on the menu in my opinion. Other items scare the hell out of me.

Horrors encountered so far include all kim-chi (see Korean Cuisine for a more complete discussion of the horrors of Kim-chi), squid soup (I can't eat anything with suction cups and tentacles), pork with hard-boiled eggs (the whole eggs were a yellow brown color, not something encountered in nature), seaweed with the tiniest fish ever and peanuts (smelled like fish food, but contained the smallest fish ever... whole).

Some items are on the menu and make me so happy. These include french fries. Sure, they were ice cold and I'm certain they were seasoned with cinnamon, but I was happy none the less. Fried fish, tasted exactly like a fish stick. Not my favorite food, but you take what you can get. Ketchup, the king of condiments. Lastly, tempura zuccini (I think that's what it was) but it was good and served with ketchup. You can't complain about that.

Outside of school my diet mainly consists of fruit and juice. I like to keep it simple. Maybe I'll cook something more bland and stomach friendly like chicken soup or potatoes, but that's about it.

No comments: