Tuesday, May 30, 2006

What Am I Doing?

I'm a few days away from marking my 6th week here. I can't believe I've been here this long, and I really can't believe how much longer I have here. One year seems like such an insurmountably long time when you're doing something, but so short when you're not paying attention.

So, I've been here a while. I understand how things work. I know about the food. I know about strange cultural things. I understand about the yellow dust everywhere. I get it. This does nothing to ease the strangeness of the situation.

I am stopped dead in my tracks at least 5 times a day with the thought "what am I doing here?" How in the hell did I end up in Anseong, South Korea? It seems like I've been here for so long, I find it hard to remember what I was doing before Korea. I am a university grad with a degree in Russian and an extensive background in music. How did I end up in Korea? Life is definitely strange. There is no easy answer to this question. Sure, I needed a job and they called at the right time.

What convinced me to travel 13 time zones away to a tiny "island" in the surrounded by hostile countries? I have no idea. Was the recruiter just extra zealous? Possibly. Did I yearn for something more? Probably not. Was I looking for an adventure? Not really. Everyone who knows me knows that I'm content to be at home, talking to friends, being surrounded by the familiar. So, what made me travel so far to be surrounded by things so foreign? Why did I want to come to a place where I am literally a walking zoo exhibit?

If you have any answers to these questions please let me know. I still can't believe sometimes that I'm here. It's not great here. It's not horrible. It just is. My feelings towards being here are so luke warm. I'm just a bit too easy going and non-commital to actually be here. Will I ever fully accept it? Will I ever fit in? Will any of the teachers eventually invite me out to do something? Don't hold your breath.

2 comments:

Helios said...

well,i don't have any answers...i don't think there are any...life just has this way of taking twists and turns you never expected...

Don't think of it as a year...don't overanalyze... as you said, "it just is"...so "just be". That is not an easy thing to do, i know...i am very very bad at it.

You're still getting used to it...it IS a different culture...but still, everyone's still just people... once you get more used to it,i bet time will go by more quickly and you will look back years from now at the whole thing like a small pretty interesting segment of your life.

Don't worry if you don't fit in...speaking as someone who has never been a fitter inner, it doesn't matter.

i don't think i woud have been able to go over there like you did.

you need some people to hang with...be patient...give it time...you will find them...they are there...

hey, don't mean to be a pollyanna here (beleive me, i'm far from a pollyanna).

Anonymous said...

buy valium india how do i buy valium online - valium online nz