Tuesday, May 09, 2006

When In Korea... Avoid The Noid

I did it. I had my first real American meal. Over the weekend I had the quintessential American fast food... pizza. Not just any pizza mind you... but Dominoes. Yes, here in Anseong we have both Dominoes and Pizza Hut. However, Dominoes was good enough to tape a flyer to my door, so they got my business.

Pizza here is different than pizza at home. That's a given. The crust is the same, nice and chewy, golden brown. The cheese is good, actually it was the most dairy I've had since coming to Korea. The difference lies in the toppings. Now, I had a steak pizza, a good choice. The pizza had no sauce, cheese, steak, peppers, broccoli, and a drizzle of sour cream on it. It was aesthetically pleasing and hit the spot. Not quite the pizza from home, but close enough to give me warm fuzzy feelings.

Now, the choices of pizza here are strangely foreign, definitely Korean. You could get a stir-fry pizza (bimimbop I think it's called), or basically anything you could imagine. There weren't a whole lot of "normal" choices, but they did have pepperoni. For side dishes you could get bread (not breadsticks or garlic bread... just plain bread), spaghetti, baked spaghetti, or various Korean soups.

All in all, it was a successful meal, but definitely an experience. By the way, pizza here is very expensive. It was $25 for the pizza and a coke. Not something I'll be doing constantly, but when I need a reminder of home, I can always count on Dominoes to deliver it in 30 minutes or less.

1 comment:

Helios said...

Mnmmm...crust, cheese...you hit the jackpot! Did you drink your Coke with it?

It will help supplement your fruit and juice diet.

Pricey, but then you mentioned about the $8 (or was it $9) melons...