Thursday, May 11, 2006

Make Sure You Use The Bathroom Before You Leave The House

Everyone grew up with their mother asking them "are you sure you don't need to use the bathroom before we leave the house?" It's been asked by mothers for centuries. I'm sure that George Washington's mother asked him and that King Tutankhamen's mother asked him. It's just what is done. With that said, mother's advice, to use the bathroom before leaving the house, has never been more important than in Korea.

To call the public bathrooms that I have encountered here "disgusting" would be the understatement of the century. I work in a school, a clean type of place. The bathrooms make me cringe. To walk in the hall anywhere remotely near the bathroom means that your nostrils are assaulted with the powerfully pungent smell of stale urine and filth. It's enough to make you hurl.

The reason behind this overwhelming stench can be found in small wastebaskets inside the cubicles of the bathroom. These are placed strategically for used toilet paper. Apparently the plumbing is not capable of dealing with the paper. Question: if the pipes can't hand the secondary matter of toilet paper... how do they handle the primary matter when people use the bathroom? I have no idea why this antiquated idea of plumbing and waste disposal is still in use today... all I know is that it is the most God-awful thing I have encountered here.

I thank God everyday when I get to school that I went before leaving the house. I can hold it all day to avoid these bathrooms. There isn't enough lysol and clorox in the known universe to disinfect these potties to my liking. The sight and smell of them will haunt me to the grave.

2 comments:

Helios said...

yikes! ugh.... it's like an indoor outhouse!

talk about bathroom anxiety!

Anonymous said...

wow what a wimp get a mask its all good. you must be the biggest crybaby on this earth