Friday, May 12, 2006

Korean Crack

Yesterday I brought in a bag of chewy candy for my classes. We were doing a wordsearch puzzle using the new vocabulary from the story I wrote. I gave candy to the first 3 people done with the puzzle. This worked well for the first few classes. Then came the seniors. The seniors started to throw a fit, demanding candy. It was quite a sight. I stuck to my guns, candy for only the first three people to finish. They were pissed. Then came the vocational students. I thought the seniors were bad. The vocational students shouted for candy. "Teacher, candy prease." Over and over again. Then today the vocational students wouldn't accept that I was out of candy, so they followed me to the teacher's office. Demanding candy all the way. Then they tried to take juice instead. I don't know who the juice belonged to, it wasn't mine. Another teacher gave them the juice.

I had no idea that chewy candy is apparently Korean crack. Seriously, I've seen recovering people in rehab react less sharply to detox. Eventhough the students I teach are pusing 19 years old, they act as if they are 12. This is not an exaggeration on my part. They're very immature. I'm going to have to rethink this candy thing, or revamp my rules. "Teacher, candy prease."

1 comment:

Helios said...

yes, prease Dan! Let's see your kids there!

they sound like a pack of hungry little bears there that you shouldn't dare feed, but once you start, you don't dare stop!